3rd Line Support Analyst Job Role
The main duties of the role will be to ensure the progression and swift resolution of calls logged with the Service Desk and delivering superior services in line with Service Level Agreements and managing client expectations.
The role will involve supporting the customer’s infrastructure including server, storage, network, data and applications as well as occasional project based work to improve and enhance the infrastructure environment. The 3rd Line support analyst will have a solid background working within a busy IT team; experience in supporting a range of technical solutions, Servers, desktops, and operating systems. The 3rd Line support analyst must have strong experience of technical troubleshooting and problem solving. Depending on projects and tasks, the individual will be required to be available for queries during out of office hours. In addition, you will handle escalated calls from the first and second level tiers
This is a demanding support position, which calls for excellent customer service skills, the ability to articulate solutions clearly and confidently to end users and possess a detailed technical knowledge across a broad range of technologies.
The successful candidate will form part of the Service Desk leadership: feeding into the Service Desk Strategy and continual service improvement plan, mentoring other engineers and supporting management decisions with their technical knowledge.
• Administering and supporting the customer’s infrastructure
• Delivering third line support and infrastructure projects
• Recommending and delivering improved IT infrastructure systems
• Demonstrating the ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex issues
• Planning and recommending enhancements to ensure that IT capacity meets current and future business requirements in a cost effective manner
• Managing IT projects to meet pre-defined objectives
The IT Service Desk is made up of a team of engineers covering all support tiers and abilities, from 1st line apprentice engineers through to 3rd line engineers. We also have a team of consultancy resources, however, they do not work permanently on the Service Desk.
The Service Desk, based in Sidcup, is responsible for the provision of IT services and support to 100+ clients across the UK. The successful candidate will be required to work closely with Sales and Account Managers, Consultancy, Business Operations and other members of the IT team.
Duties and responsibilities
• Handle escalated calls from first/second line Service Desk
• Administer and maintain customer infrastructure, including Active Directory, Azure AD, LAN, Internet access, firewalls and Exchange/Office 365
• Administer VMware and Citrix Infrastructures including SAN environments
• Monitor and troubleshoot server and network performance utilising the monitoring system to ensure any necessary action is taken
• Administer backup and disaster recovery systems and processes
• Management of relationships with third parties and suppliers
• Keep operational documentation up-to-date
• Act as technical lead when part of a major incident’s virtual team.
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012/2016/2019 including NLB and clustering
• Excellent knowledge of VMware vSphere 5.0+ in an enterprise environment
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Exchange Server and Office 365
• Thorough knowledge/experience of troubleshooting networking protocols and technologies such as TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, routing and vLANs
• Strong Knowledge of backup and DR services (Backup Exec, Datto, Azure)
• Experience in installing, configuring and managing Cisco switches, firewalls and routers.
• Good knowledge of Avaya phone systems and Gamma Horizon.
• Knowledge of iSCSI/Fibre channel Storage Area Networks, such as EMC
• Knowledge of Windows Script Host/VBScript/ PowerShell
• Experience of patch management deployment/Windows Software Update Services
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Windows 7-10
• MCSE/MCITP: Enterprise Administrator or Server Administrator/VCP or equivalent IT Qualifications an advantage
• Ability to perform Research and Development into systems in preparation for implementation/third line support
• A strong desire and focus on continued improvements to the department and personally.
• A desire to be part of an overall team and achieve team goals
• To continually strive to improve overall firm effectiveness
• Strong communicator
• Confident mentor of other members of the Service Desk.
• Natural aptitude for troubleshooting and problem solving
• Proven ability to work under pressure and with other people
• Strong time management and self-motivation skills
• A lateral thinker
• Keeping up to date with current industry trends and emerging technologies and best practices
• Must be able to demonstrate a ‘customer first’ approach to support
• 5 years+ experience on a helpdesk, technical support or similar role, preferably in an MSP environment.
• Access to own vehicle required
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed within this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required. You will also be expected to undertake duties which may not be listed on this job description as directed by your line manager which will be deemed as reasonable within the scope of the role.
This role will report to the Service Desk Manager.
• Annual salary depending upon experience.
• Paid overtime or time off in lieu
• Out of hours support rota, paid as a retainer.
• Working hours on a shift basis as follows:
o 07:00am until 3:45pm
o 08:45am until 5:30pm
o 09:15am until 6:00pm
• Contributory pension scheme (after 3 months service and successful completion of probationary period)
• Twenty-five days annual leave.