Starting a new business is hard enough as it is, let alone when you throw IT-related issues and tasks into the mix.
Here at ITRM, we’ve worked with organisations of all sizes for over 20 years, often working alongside small businesses to offer them bespoke IT support. In that time, we’ve noticed that start-up companies rarely know all of the small business IT support services available. What’s more, many start-ups aren’t aware of the value IT support can bring their business.
So, as an award-winning managed IT service provider, we’ve taken it upon ourselves to produce a small business checklist that start-ups can use to:
A) Gain an awareness of the variety of SME IT support out there.
B) Decide on the most appropriate IT solutions tailored to their business model.
C) Get the most out of their managed IT service provider.
So, if you’re a small business looking for IT support, read on to find out more.
Why do start-ups & SMEs need IT support?
While we’ve covered this topic at great length over on our blog, let’s summarise the core reasons why start-ups and SMEs need IT support.
- SME IT support can save money. Although there are upfront costs, IT support is a long-term investment for small business owners concerned about their business’s longevity. Paying a flat-rate fee for ongoing protection is much more economical than forking out thousands when breaches or damage occurs.
- IT support gives small businesses security & peace of mind. Having a dedicated team of IT experts by your side gives your small business a better chance of avoiding pitfalls and/or falling victim to cyberattacks.
- SME IT support allows owners to focus on their business. If you leave cyber security, compliance, data security, and all the other IT concerns to the experts, you’ll have much more time and energy to focus on the running and growing your business.
- Small business IT support enhances competitiveness. Nowadays, hundreds of new start ups are formed every day, and the market is becoming increasingly competitive. Get ahead of the competition by refining your current IT processes and increasing your efficiency with IT support services such as consultancy and website development.
What small business IT support do I need?
Use the list of questions below to determine which IT support services would work best for your business needs. The questions are designed to prompt small business owners to think deeply about the strengths and weaknesses of their current start up model, honing in on core areas where managed IT support providers could provide the most value.
● Do you and your team know and use cybersecurity best practices?
● Are you Cyber Essentials certified?
● Would your small business be able to recover from a data breach?
● Are you confident in handling, storing, and processing essential data?
● Could your business benefit from access to a 24/7 help desk for technical issues?
● Are you confident in maintaining your current systems to their full potential?
● Are you and your team able to navigate new software, updating it regularly and remaining compliant?
● Has your business made the switch to the cloud yet?
● Do you have employees who currently work remotely?
● Does your start-up operate from multiple locations
● Do your communication systems work effectively? Or do they need updating?
● Could you benefit from a Converged Private Network (CPN)?
● If your current communication systems failed, could you get them back up and running again?
● Does your website reflect the values of your small business’ brand?
● Is your website user-friendly?
● Does your website have a positive user experience?
● If you sell online, does your website make this easy for customers to do so?
● Are your current cabling & network solutions doing the job? Or are they holding you back with slow speeds and downtime?
● Do you currently rely on legacy cabling systems that cost your small business time and money?
This option is ideal for businesses that are relocating and therefore isn’t necessarily useful for start-ups. However, this service can be extremely useful if:
● Your business is experiencing a period of sudden growth and needs to move to a larger space to accommodate.
● Your business is downsizing its office space and reducing equipment to reduce expenses
● Do you regularly factor technology into your long-term business plan?
● Could you benefit from a roadmap to keep up with technological advancements and software updates?
● Would it help your business to have a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to manage all things tech?
● Do you like having a dedicated individual assigned to help you with your business’ technological strategy?
● Is there a specific tech-based project your business is running that you would like expert guidance on?
Contact us for small business IT support
If your small business could benefit from any of the IT solutions on the start-up checklist above, get in touch with our experts today. Let’s get the ball rolling and work together to grow your start-up, starting with its IT systems and processes.
Free small business IT support advice
Our blog is a treasure trove of information if you’re after regular guidance about IT support for small companies. Please find a list of our most helpful blogs for start-ups and SMEs below: